How To Prepare For Olympiad Exams
How to Prepare for Olympiad Exams
Hard work is the key of success. To achieve target one must always be ready to work for it. Nowadays, competition after school getting tougher and thus it becomes necessary for the school students to be prepared emotionally and mentally to tackle the challenges coming their way. Olympiad exams are a great help in this preparation. Olympiad exams are school level competitive exams which provide a platform to students to judge their skills on bigger forums and are tougher as compared to regular school exams. Olympiads help students in improving their understanding of concepts and help in achieving overall academic excellence. Olympiads also help students to develop reasoning and logical thinking at an early stage. Some of the tips to prepare for Olympiad exams are as follows:
- First of all, set your goal and target the desired exam from the beginning. Now, the first step in Olympiad exam preparation is to understand the syllabus, pattern and level of difficulty. For this, go through the syllabus and previous year’s question paper.
- It is necessary to have a study plan for Olympiad preparation to maintain discipline and time management. Plan and freeze daily study hours. Daily scheduling and subject wise scheduling is very important for a systematic preparation. Keep yourself away from social media, mobile phone, Whatsapp and any activity which destruct your concentration.
- Start from NCERT books as they lay the foundation of advance knowledge. Then students can refer books by MTG etc. to understand level of Olympiad questions. NCERT or similar books of one higher grade can be referred to understand advanced concepts.
- Prepare notes with the important information and formulae as these notes can be used for revision. This cuts down on the revision time as the notes contain important information from all subjects in a single place.
- Highlight the points of high importance in book and mark those questions in which you face difficulty. During the time of revision, you have to focus specially on these points and questions.
- Before going to sleep every day, make a plan of activities and topic of studies for next day. It will help you to reduce unproductive time and improve your performance. In the morning, try to revise topic of last day which will improve your retention capability.
- Evaluate yourself by attempting as many MCQ type questions as possible for understanding of a topic after studying it. This will help you in knowing weak areas of your preparation. Then go through other books or study material for clarification of the same. Don't allow to accumulate the doubts which may result in mental stress.
- Make a revision plan parallel to regular studies. Revise each topic at a suitable interval of time using short notes or flash cards otherwise there is a chance of forgetting it.
- Avoiding silly mistakes in mathematics. Tricky questions require quick and accurate calculation.
- Do sufficient practice of logical reasoning questions also.
- When full syllabus is completed, then go through the mock tests of Olympiad exams for which you can join any online test series which give you similar question and environment as Olympiad exams. Koncepts Solutions provide online test series containing topic wise mock test, logical reasoning mock test and full syllabus mock test.
- During exam, keep patience and be cool. Read the questions carefully before answering them. Mark answers to easy questions and try attempt “Achievers Section” early on. Then mark correct answers on OMR sheet carefully. Check all the questions before leaving the exam hall.